SGS Has Its Very Own Ironman



Scott Palframan is a Plate Finisher at our Citadel Way branch in Hull. He’s been with SGS Packaging Europe for over ten years, which means that he has tons of invaluable experience and really knows what makes the company tick.

“I came from an engineering background,” says Scott, “so now working in a clean environment at SGS that’s warm and dry is a lot different to the dark, old, rusty, cold, oily workshops that once were my daily workplace. In the plate finishing department one really gets left alone nicely to do their daily work.”

However, during his spare time Scott takes part in something that takes him and many others across miles of land and water:

“I started running when I went to see my wife take part in her first 10k race, as she took it up to lose her baby weight from having twins. Claire Ordine and Neil Thompson who work in our Bridgehead office also ran the race. I found myself thinking I could do that too, and soon after was putting my running legs to the test. I entered my first sprint triathlon (400m swim, 40k bike ride, 5k run) in 2011. I borrowed my brother-in-law’s bike, got two punctures and came last.”

Fast forward a couple of years and it was a very different story. Scott had done a few Ironman 70.3 events, which are a half Ironman consisting of a 1.2-mile swim, 56-mile bike ride and a 13.1-mile run. His hard work paid off, as Scott went on to qualify in his age category in 2016 for the Ironman 70.3 World Championships in Australia: “We stayed with my sister who lives there, so it was really nice that we could all share the experience together.”

And Scott’s fitness journey doesn’t end there: “With everything that I have done or do I put 100% effort into it to try and be the best that I can be, whether it's work, running, or in my younger days rugby, and now triathlon. I’ve done four Ironman Triathlons, which are the full 2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike ride and a 26.2-mile run. For these I usually train 10-15 hours a week, with early get-ups so that it doesn't interfere with family time.”

Taking inspiration from him this time, Scott’s wife, Marie, has also taken up triathlon: “Since having our daughter, who is now two, Marie has done her first 70.3 Ironman and has just entered her first full Ironman distance for July 2020, which I have been told I'm coaching her for!”

This commitment is truly fantastic and we’re very proud of Scott, who does a fantastic job here at SGS whilst making time for serious personal challenges: “It also has a really good positive effect on my two boys, as they enjoy swimming and have run a few races. One of them is even keen to do his first triathlon.”

Scott says that if you’re thinking about taking up Ironman events, you should go for it: “If you’re a bit overweight like I was ten years ago, give running or triathlon a go. It’s also great for mental washing up, as a bit of training can help clean the head of any stresses that life brings to us all.”

--

There’s all kinds of activity taking place across SGS Packaging Europe’s offices, so keep up to date by following us on FacebookTwitterInstagram and LinkedIn.  

Popular posts from this blog

Art and Crafts Competition

Welcome to SGS Packaging Europe

Managers Receive Expert Mental Health Training from Mind