Meet Josh, One of Our New Apprentices


Last year, our offices at The Maltings and Bridgehead launched the SGS apprenticeship scheme, which gives people the opportunity to learn all about our fascinating industry whilst benefitting from mentoring, development days and ownership over fundraising projects. We’re now in the process of welcoming a fresh intake of apprentices to offices in Hull and Tamworth , with 18-year-old Josh Minter being one of our new starters at The Maltings. We caught up with Josh to find out what he thinks about his training so far.

“Before I joined SGS as an apprentice I was at college studying the public sector, and before that I studied business studies and media studies,” says Josh. “I knew I wanted to be involved within digital media due to my previous history with media studies and graphic design at high school. I was looking for an apprenticeship as opposed to university because I wanted to get into a sustainable career within a field I have a passion for, based at a place where I would enjoy coming to work every day.”

Josh applied for an apprenticeship with our company and responded immediately when we got back to him: “Having done some background research on the company online, I was intrigued to find out what opportunities could await if my interviews went well and I was offered an apprenticeship. I knew it was going to be difficult due to the sheer volume of candidates that applied for the role of apprentice at this site.
“Upon arrival, the slick, modern interior caught my attention. I felt like I wasn't in a basic, unattractive workspace that you usually come across. Instead, it was a working environment with character, filled with friendly employees who all made me feel at home before I had even been offered an apprenticeship. I knew that this was the place for me.”

Josh had been offered a position at another similar business in the area, which offers apprenticeships. However, he says that after several group interviews, tours and one-to-one sessions at both companies, it was an easy decision to choose SGS: “Everything about the site, staff and workplace in general was very much more suited to me. A friendly environment with an ambition to learn and grow was what caught my eye during the interviewing process. SGS also made the apprenticeship more about me, as they made it clear that colleagues would support me through any difficulties and challenges I might face within and outside of the job. It made me feel very wanted and inspired me to choose this opportunity over the other.”

Josh is working in the Brewing Room on the second floor at The Maltings. He tells us that on his first day he was greeted by everyone and treated like he had already been with the company for a year: “With everyone knowing how nervous I was, they made sure I was eased into my role comfortably and stress-free. All of the staff are very approachable and supportive. There is a very friendly vibe around the room and it makes it a great place to come to work.”

He’s also completely invested in our brand, even at this very early stage: “Personally, I think SGS is a very exciting company. It seems to be constantly evolving and it’s a very unique place to work, plus a very intriguing one to say the least. Although I have only been here for a month, it really is an amazing place for apprentices such as myself because you’re supported in your every step, at your own pace, with a company culture that makes you excited to come in the next day.”

Josh is currently learning the software that he will be using daily as an apprentice artworker: “The training provided has been outstanding. There is no pressure on you to learn everything as fast as you can and be perfect right away; instead I’m given freedom within small tasks on the software that help me to learn and grow in my own time, which as a young apprentice allows me to progress healthily. Also, I cannot praise the support from my co-workers enough, as they are always making sure I am doing okay and checking if I need any help. I can talk to them about any problems, which would normally seem daunting but that simply isn't the case at SGS.”

As of this week, Josh has completed his simple and basic training on the system software and is now progressing onto the more detailed aspects of artwork, which involves learning features that artworkers use to create packaging design and artwork. He says that he’s looking forward to being able to work on larger projects in the near future, and helping the reprographic artworkers in his department with tasks: “Then I would like to progress to the stage where I can take on more difficult jobs on my own, becoming more independent without needing as much support and guidance.”

As for outside of work, Josh is an avid follower of pop culture: “I love the cinema, especially watching classic movies. I also used to make films at high school and college, so I have a burning passion for cinematography. I'm very much into music and collect vinyl too.  In my spare time I regularly attend gigs and music concerts, along with festivals in the summer. Plus I’m a big football fan and used to travel to games, which I haven't been able to do as much recently but I’d love to get back into it, as well as playing when I get the chance.”

We’re delighted that Josh has hit the ground running in his new apprentice role and everyone is very impressed with his focus, dedication and progress. As for football, we wouldn’t be surprised if he’s soon playing a Maltings vs Bridgehead match with his colleagues!

---

There’s all kinds of activity taking place across SGS Packaging Europe’s offices, so keep up to date by following us on FacebookTwitterInstagram and LinkedIn

Popular posts from this blog

Apprentices Hand Over Donations to HHCP

Managers Receive Expert Mental Health Training from Mind

Welcome to SGS Packaging Europe