Andy is Almost Six Months Into His Yearlong Challenge



You may remember that Andy Jarvis, Project Manager at The Maltings, took on a personal challenge last summer. Starting on 14th August, he decided to not have a single drop of alcohol for an entire year. This was quickly built on in September with a commitment to incorporate more exercise into his weekly routine.  

“I haven't had an alcoholic drink since day one,” says Andy, which we imagine was especially difficult during the festive season. “Plus since 1st September I have run and cycled 155 miles, the majority of which has been running as I now run home from work a couple of times a week, which is about four miles, and occasionally cycle. In terms of motivation it's not been too difficult, as I enjoy being outside. I even ran when we had the really bad rain in November, a feat which was made more remarkable when I couldn't actually see where I was going due to the water on the ground.”

Andy says that December wasn’t as tough as expected: “I got in the mindset that I'm doing this challenge for a good cause and I'd be letting people down if I didn’t complete it. I actually don't miss drinking alcohol anymore – through a lot of research via reading and listening to podcasts I have kept my motivation up and noticed that I feel so much better. I could still do to cut out the sugary snacks as I’ve developed a bit of a sweet tooth, but if I can do this challenge I can do anything.”

All of this is in aid of the Rainbow Trust, the Alzheimer’s Society and Hull Homeless Community Project (HHCP), which SGS The Maltings and Bridgehead have recently supported through our apprenticeship scheme. So far Andy has raised just over 10% of his target of £1,000 and still has a few months left of his JustGiving fundraiser.

HHCP is a local charity that helps the homeless community in numerous ways. From extensive outreach and a valuable companion programme, to social activities, education, awareness drives and an active fight against modern slavery, the team makes a huge difference to the lives of people who are faced with dangerous domestic environments and have nowhere to call home. Meanwhile, the Rainbow Trust is a national organisation that provides emotional and practical support to families who have a child with a life-threatening illness, with its Family Support Workers helping families to make the most of each day. And then of course there’s the Alzheimer’s Society, which is a charity that’s close to the hearts of many of our colleagues due to it researching a cure for dementia and supporting everyone who is affected by it.

We’re very proud of Andy’s dedication to his yearlong challenge and his natural gift for inspiring his co-workers. If you’re interested in quitting alcohol or adding more fitness to your lifestyle, we’re sure he’ll be happy to give you a few pointers.

---

There’s all kinds of activity taking place across SGS Packaging Europe’s offices, so keep up to date by following us on FacebookTwitterInstagram and LinkedIn.  

Popular posts from this blog

Apprentices Hand Over Donations to HHCP

Managers Receive Expert Mental Health Training from Mind

Welcome to SGS Packaging Europe