Career Insights: Scott Murphy


Scott Murphy in our Tamworth office has been with the company for six years and is a highly skilled Colour Retoucher who’s also qualified in digital artwork. We asked him a little about what makes him tick.
“I turned 26 in March and I'm a single lad who has a lot of family. My parents created four of us and my brothers have all had children, so I'm an uncle eight times over (I’m seen as the black sheep due to being the only son who isn’t yet married or has any kids).”
“I didn't go to college or university but was always committed to being self-taught. I was running the marketing material in StarCity in Birmingham from a very young age, as well as a photo studio. It was then that things changed, as I joined the team here at SGS.”  
In his spare time, Scott is a bit of a petrolhead. He has three cars, including an Audi TT for daily use and an MX5, which he has fixed and upgraded himself, from replacing the electrical system to fitting a whole new interior. He has a cat called Alfie and is also on the lookout for a pet dog.
As you may have guessed, Scott loves technology, especially smart home devices. When he’s not playing on his Xbox One and PS4, you’ll probably find him doing some DIY, gardening, watching rugby or playing a few rounds down the golf range. This means that he’s always fully recharged before starting a new working week that's full of responsibilities and new challenges.
“I started at SGS in 2013 as an apprentice and after two years I became a qualified artworker,” says Scott. “At that point I moved to Marks Design for a short while to check files to print. I then moved to the 3D department, where I produced renders for accounts and product photography, followed by a stint working on GSK accounts and finally landed on Philips lighting. It’s been a very busy few years!”
As a retoucher, Scott creates 3D and 2D images of packaging, retouches lifestyle and product images, photographs products, produces asset sheets for clients, and supports the team in Shanghai with the account on their side. But that’s not all for Scott, as he’s also a fire marshal, gathers information from his colleagues for the social media channels, and is the chair of a focus group on site.
When we asked Scott what his favourite thing about the job was, his answer came immediately: “I'm in a field that I always wanted to be in. I've managed to learn so many things within the business, including retouching, photography, artwork, admin, and how being a part of focus groups is important for the workplace.”
Taking into account that he began his role at SGS as a young apprentice, Scott has progressed significantly in a short time. This is thanks to his passion, dedication and can-do attitude, which is what we always look for when recruiting new team members. As for his future within the company, he says that he aims to become more involved with retouching as well as new movements such as automation. With our industry constantly evolving both technologically and creatively, we guarantee that Scott will have access to all of the opportunities required to advance his skill set and career.
Finally, we asked him for a few words of wisdom for those considering a role at our company: “SGS is one of the leaders within packaging. I started out as an apprentice and now I’m doing my dream job, plus I feel confident that my position is stable and recognised within my field. If you see a role that interests you, make sure to apply right away!”
---
There’s all kinds of activity taking place across SGS Packaging Europe’s offices, so keep up to date by following us on FacebookTwitterInstagram and LinkedIn 

Popular posts from this blog

Managers Receive Expert Mental Health Training from Mind

Apprentices Hand Over Donations to HHCP

Welcome to SGS Packaging Europe