Kate Runs Another Half Marathon for the Alzheimer's Society


Kate McLellan joined our Tamworth office in June this year as a Corporate Recruiter: “My favourite thing about SGS is everyone I have met so far and had the pleasure of working with. They’ve all been incredibly welcoming and friendly towards me, which has made it a lot easier to settle into my new role and an industry I haven't recruited for previously.”

In her spare time, Kate enjoys taking part in running events in aid of charity. Last October she ran her first half marathon, raising money and awareness for the Alzheimer's Society. On Monday 29th September, she’s getting involved in her second event by running the Robin Hood Half Marathon. To prepare herself, she recently took part in the Shenstone and Lichfield 10k events, which reflects her dedication to completing the upcoming event on behalf of a worthy cause.

“My first attempt was the Birmingham Half Marathon last year, as I set myself the challenge of something to train for after having my son. I wanted to get my fitness back to what it was prior to pregnancy – after having so much time away from exercise it was really difficult and the weather was horrendous! I basically ran the whole half in the heaviest rain possible and it was freezing. Still, I managed to complete it in just shy of two hours and ten minutes, which I was super pleased with seeing as though that was the first time I had run that kind of distance.”

Having set herself a fundraising target of £250, Kate actually managed to raise £350, which motivated her to take on more challenges: “The weather factor is pretty much the main reason I have signed up for the Robin Hood Half Marathon in Nottingham, as I'm hoping for a better chance of sun, or at least less rain!”

As part of her training, aside from the recent 10k events, Kate has been taking part in 5k park runs every Saturday since January: “I’ve mainly been running the Cannock Chase Park Run, which is great because it's quite hilly, but I’ve also run the Aberystwyth, Llanerchaeron, Willen Lake, Wigan and Lancaster park runs this year. The pressure is on to get up to at least 16k in time for the big event.”

The Alzheimer’s Society is often chosen by our colleagues when they take part in charity fundraisers due to it being such a crucial organisation, as Kate explains: “My husband and I thought we would join forces this year to raise more money and awareness for this good cause. My husband works in the stairlift industry and Alzheimer's is something he comes into contact with daily, plus it has affected many of our extended family and friends. As we are all part of an ever-increasing ageing pollution, Alzheimer's has the potential to have an impact on us all at some point in our lives. I’m running this month’s Nottingham event and my husband is running the Birmingham Half Marathon in October.”

Kate tells us that she’s most looking forward to the atmosphere and camaraderie of all the runners, as well as the support from spectators… “Not to mention a celebratory shandy after reaching the finish line!” Meanwhile, she believes that the biggest challenge will be actually completing it, as well as giving herself the added pressure of beating last year’s finish time (we know you can do it).

We wish Kate all the best in smashing her previous time. If you’d like to show your support too, you can add any amount you wish to her fundraisingpot.
---

There’s all kinds of activity taking place across SGS Packaging Europe’s offices, so keep up to date by following us on FacebookTwitterInstagram and LinkedIn.  

Popular posts from this blog

Apprentices Hand Over Donations to HHCP

Managers Receive Expert Mental Health Training from Mind

Welcome to SGS Packaging Europe