Meet Our Apprentices: Jade Howard




Our apprenticeship scheme launched in 2018 and if you work in Hull or Tamworth you will surely have met at least one of our amazing apprentices. Each one is given specific tasks, growth areas and one-to-one mentoring to help them develop specific expertise and transferrable skills, as well as taking part in development days and fun activities to further enhance how they work with colleagues and each other.

Jade Howard is 19 years old and had just finished her A-levels at Wyke College before joining us at SGS. She studied Fine Art, History and English Language, working part-time at a farm shop and restaurant. Jade discovered our apprenticeship scheme and recognised that it’s a well organised and structured programme: “I had a keen eye for design and colour, so with SGS being one of the lead companies in innovative packaging, I thought it would be a good opportunity to gain qualifications in print while learning on the job.”

As is usually the case, there were other routes available alongside an apprenticeship at SGS. However, Jade realised that we provide the best and most versatile training provision: “SGS offers a comfortable and friendly working environment and I thought I would easily fit in and get to know people fairly quickly because of this. SGS also offers support when needed, as well as help towards building up my knowledge, not only to complete my apprenticeship but to progress in my job role too.”

Jade is based in the Colour Team, which involves her working cross-site and supporting all main UK facilities. As a result, she gets to work in a few locations depending on which jobs she has to do on certain days: “All sites have a similar friendly atmosphere, so I don’t mind which one I work from and I get to know the wider team in the process.”

Our apprentices always have great things to say about our company and Jade is no exception: “SGS holds a lot of career opportunities because the company is always developing the work that it delivers. I think SGS supports staff as much as possible, which again adds to the positive company culture.“

Now finishing Level 2 of her apprenticeship and progressing to Level 3, Jade’s role involves supporting and developing all areas of colour management within sgsco around the world: “My team is quite small so we try to organise training weeks every two months at The Maltings. I’m shadowed by one of my colleagues while completing tasks, which helps me to learn useful tips and more efficient techniques as I go.”

Jade can now confidently calibrate a proofer, fix minor issues and pick up tasks such as PCI checks on the colour portal. She’s also learning how to complete more advanced tasks and requests on the portal, which reflects the effectiveness of her ongoing training. On top of this, she’s been assigned to fellow apprentice Lois Turner as a buddy to support her through Level 2.

Thinking about the future, Jade says: “I’m looking forward to being involved in more charity events through the apprenticeship scheme, especially the Christmas ones as it’s my favourite time of year. I’m excited to move on in my job role – at Level 3 I’ll have more time to develop my skills on the colour management side of things and pick up additional tasks, which helps me to become more independent.”

When she’s not at work, Jade enjoys her Filipino martial arts class called Balintawak Eskrima, which she has done for four years and is currently training at Level 5 out of 7. Creative at all times, she draws and paints a lot in her spare time too, especially cars, animals and landscapes. She also takes time to cook and bake, having made plenty of cupcakes for work over the last year, and she’s even writing her own cookbook: “I don’t want my sister living off beans on toast when I move out!”

We’re very impressed with how quickly Jade is building her skill set and love having her on board. All the best with Level 3 of your apprenticeship!

If you’re interested in apprenticeships at SGS Packaging Europe, which are open to people of all ages, please contact information@sgsco.com.

Popular posts from this blog

Apprentices Hand Over Donations to HHCP

Welcome to SGS Packaging Europe

Managers Receive Expert Mental Health Training from Mind